Madeline Buckley, formerly known as Madeline Kendall, is a character on FOX's 9-1-1 who works as a 9-1-1 dispatcher in the Los Angeles area, and is the older sister of Evan Buckley. She débuts in the first episode of the second season of 9-1-1 and is portrayed by starring cast member Jennifer Love Hewitt.
Maddie and her younger brother, Evan Buckley were born in Hershey, Pennsylvania. Before she got married to Doug, Buck told her not to marry him because he knew he was violent, but she did anyway. After many violent moments with her husband Doug, she decides to leave him and flee to Los Angeles. In Merry Ex-Mas, she reveals that she only hated Christmas because Christmas Eve was the day she decided to leave Doug for good.
Moving to L.A.
After getting away from her abusive husband, Doug Kendall, she runs to Los Angeles to hide out with her brother, Evan Buckley, after not seeing him for over 3 years. She winds up living with him in the apartment he’s watching for Abby. Although she is trained as a nurse, she doesn’t want to put other people in danger from her abuser. Evan comes up with the idea that she should apply to work as a 9-1-1 operator.
On her first day at the job, Maddie fields calls after a major earthquake hits. Standout calls include one where she helps an expectant father stabilize his unconscious wife—who had started active labor—and direct them to emergency services and one where she suggested to the caller that the odd light cloud the caller saw was the Milky Way.
Chimney and Maddie quickly develop a close friendship, fueled by their shared interests and sense of humor. Buck notices their closeness first, but the couple eventually become aware of their attraction. They face multiple difficulties in their relationship, starting with Maddie's ex-husband Doug stabbing Chimney and kidnapping Maddie on what was intended to be their first date. However, the couple makes it through their traumas and difficulties in tact. Season three ends with the couple happily embracing after learning that they are having a child.
We don’t know how far apart their age gap is but they are shown to have a very close relationship. Maddie states that she used to change Buck’s diapers and give him baths however. Maddie initially moves in with younger brother Buck after leaving her abusive husband, Doug. She fully trusts Evan and his friends to protect her. Although she eventually moves out of Buck's (Abby)'s apartment, the siblings remain close, visiting each other regularly. Buck later advises Maddie's eventual boyfriend, and his colleague, Chimney on the couple's relationship to varying degrees of success.
- Maddie was an ER Nurse for 8 years. This has been stated in several episodes including "7.1", "Help Is Not Coming", "Awful People", "Sink or Swim" and "The Taking of Dispatch 9-1-1".
- Maddie refers to herself as Maddie Buckley as well as Maddie Kendall. She is referred to as both in the same episode. She later implies that now, since moving away from her abusive husband, she goes by Maddie Buckley again.
- Athena jokingly called her "Buckette" in the episode "Awful People" as a reference to her being the sister of Buck.
- Jennifer Love Hewitt and Brian Hallisay (Doug Kendall) are married in real life.
- Maddie appeared in every episode of seasons two and three except for "Hen Begins", "Bobby Begins Again", and "Eddie Begins". She appeared in archive footage in "Chimney Begins".
- Her full name, Madeline Kendall, was revealed in "Fight or Flight" as it was seen on the missing persons alert that was issued for her after she was kidnapped by her ex-husband Doug. The alert also listed her as being 5'3".
|"Under Pressure"||"7.1"||"Help Is Not Coming"||"Stuck"||"Awful People"||"Dosed"|
|"Haunted"||"Buck, Actually"||"Hen Begins"||"Merry Ex-Mas"||"New Beginnings"||"Chimney Begins*"|
|"Fight or Flight"||"Broken"||"Ocean's 9-1-1"||"Bobby Begins Again"||"Careful What You Wish For"||"This Life We Choose"|
* denotes archive footage only appearance.
|"Kids Today"||"Sink or Swim"||"The Searchers"||"Triggers"||"Rage"||"Monsters"|
|"Athena Begins"||"Malfunction"||"Fallout"||"Christmas Spirit"||"Seize the Day"||"Fools"|
|"Pinned"||"The Taking of Dispatch 9-1-1"||"Eddie Begins"||"The One That Got Away"||"Powerless"||"What's Next?"|